The Electric Commentary

Wednesday, October 20, 2004

I'll sleep better knowing that...

Robert Byrd, Trent Lott, John Edwards, Zell Miller, Russ Feingold, Joe Lieberman and everyone else in Congress have free and abundant flu shots all around them. I'm sure you are all shocked to hear that Congress is getting first dibs on an item in short supply. Shocked! Joe Lieberman said:

I haven't done it yet, but I want to. We're not in the priority category set by the CDC. But I think the [Capitol's] doctor makes a good case. We can pick it up and spread it through interactions with constituents.

At last, we're all finally safe from Joe Lieberman. Read the whole thing here.

(Hat tip, Marginal Revolution)

2 Comments:

  • Seriously?? That's ridiculous.

    Doesn't anyone remember the time before flu vaccine? It wasn't that long ago. I understand the impact on the elderly, but why is everyone else making such a fuss about it now? Call me crazy, but I think we'll survive.

    By Blogger Jason, at 11:00 AM  

  • People are blowing this way out of proportion. Ahren has a pretty good comment discussion going on this at his blog, but my comments are pertinent to this too, so here they are:

    Annual U.S. Deaths Due to the Flu: approx 36,000.
    Annual U.S. Deaths Due to Anthrax: ~1.

    Spending on R&D to fight Flu: $283 million.
    Spending on R&D to fight Anthrax and other biological agents: $5.6 billion.

    and

    I agree with most of that, but it's not like taping your ankle. Vaccines work by boosting your immune system, not by providing it with a crutch. It is, after all, just exposing you to the disease.

    I used to get the shot in college, but it made me feel miserable for weeks. Who wants that? I'll take a few days of puking any time.

    What is really stupid about this whole thing is that there is only a shortage of the SHOTS. There is a flu vaccine nasal spray that anyone can get as long as they don't have a compromised immune system (it uses weak but still living viruses, unlike the shot).

    By Blogger PaulNoonan, at 11:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Search:
Keywords:
Amazon Logo